Walking & Sport
- The Yorkshire Dales has a vast network of footpaths and many are readily accessible from the Guesthouse. Most notable is Wainright's Coast to Coast which passes just a few minutes' from our door (see our dedicated Coast to Coast page).
- There are also many shorter walks (anything from 30 mins to a full day) which take in the magnificent local scenary. A favourite of our's is the route up to Willance's Leap and then back along the River Swale. If you want something shorter then there's Round Howe or a stroll into town and drop down to the old station.
- Visit our RouteYou page, send us a message or have a chat when you arrive and we can point you in the right direction.
- With many quiet country lanes and bridleways, the Yorkshire Dales is perfect for both road and off-road cycling. The Dales offer a great mix of smooth tarmac and challenging terrain which can reward the rider with amazing scenery and, should you wish, heart-pumping downhill sections!
- From our location at West End it's possible to pick-up a bridleway and, with a mix of minor road and unsurfaced paths, make your way through to Reeth, onto Gunnerside and beyond.
- The Richmond Meet, a full weekend of cycling events, is held every Spring Bank Holiday.
- If you need spares or a bike service there's Arthur Caygill Cycles on the trading estate here in Richmond or Bank Cycles over in Catterick Garrison.
- For bike hire contact the Dales Bike Centre at Reeth, about 15 minutes drive down the road.
- If you're staying with us as part of a longer tour then the Coast to Coast Packhorse can arrange baggage transfers*.
- And don't forget, we have a locked bike shed here on site for overnight storage*.
- Whether it's marathons, fell running or simply a quick run in the evenings, there are great routes in and around Richmond.
- The Swaledale Marathon, a challenging event, is held every June and Richmond has its own 10K in October.
- Richmond Equestrian Centre is close by and there are several others in the area all offering opportunities to learn to ride or enjoy trecking in the beautiful countryside.
- Richmond Yorks Golf Club is located just 1 mile from the Guesthouse and Catterick Golf Club about 3 miles away.
- Visitors are welcome at both clubs (at time of writing).
- After buying a local permit, anglers can enjoy fishing in one of Britain's best mixed fishing rivers together with a number of well stocked lakes in the area.
- The Richmond &District Angling Society can be contacted for further information.
Trial Motor Biking
- The Richmond Motor Club offers a number of trial bike events throughout the year including the well known Scott Trial.
* All items such as bicycles, luggage, clothing, etc. are left at owner's risk.
Please Note All links and references included on this website are for information only. We do not hold any affiliations and cannot accept responsibility for any outcomes as a result of engagements with the businesses shown.